Sunday, November 4, 2007

[TIPS] What do the college kids know about this stuff

David Warlick wrote a post a while back (sorry, I can't find it to link to it)  in which he mentioned being in a room with about 300 college students, almost none of them who knew what he meant by web 2.0, or "the read-write" web. I can now add my voice to that and say that I just had a similar experience. I was at the California University of PA campus on Thursday and I had a chance to speak to literally tens of.. students :-/ who were education majors. A few had blogs (facebook) but not one read a blog for professional development, not one had used a wiki and only a few knew of wikipedia. When I showed a few tools on the web they were as blown away by them as the veteran teachers that I've worked with in the past. So, if there is a course on technology integration, it does not include the new tools. And I don't mean to imply that this is unique in ANY way to CUP. I'm SURE it's not.

What can we do about this? We've got Vicki Davis and Julie Lindsay and others collaborating with classrooms from around the world. We've got Chris Lehman showing his students uStream.tv and backchanneling with Skype. We've got Kristin Hokanson and her teachers making a wonderful wiki on Latin America. We've got student newspapers being published using Joomla. We've got kids participating in Megaconference JR. And, we've got kids graduating as would-be teachers who know little more than the stand up and lecture modus operandi. Meanwhile, PA  is pumping hundreds of millions of dollars into the Classrooms for the Future program to show teachers OTHER ways to organize their classes and get kids involved in collaborative lessons.

There has GOT to be a way to get higher ed involved with this movement, don't you think? How?

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Sweet Tomatoes Printable Coupons