Thursday, November 22, 2007

[TIPS] The Doomsday Vault

Hardly a topic for Thanksgiving, I realize, but this is when I’ll have time to write about it for a while.

 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7097052.stm

 

I first heard of this story from one of my blogs (can you imagine?), the Long Views blog. I’m a member of the Long Now organization, and a metal card-carrying one, at that. But I digress…

 

Here is a story about the doomsday vault which is built into a mountain. The vault “…will house seeds from all known varieties of key food crops.” Why? Well, in case of a major disaster of some kind. We’ll need seeds to begin growing crops again. It’s costing the Norwegian government $9m to build.

 

I don’t know what to say about this. I just think it’s … interesting.

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Sweet Tomatoes Printable Coupons