Thursday, December 20, 2007

[TIPS] John Henry Faulk's 'Christmas Story'

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1115979

It’s that time of year again when I send out this pointer to a story that I have listened to for... several years. (How many years in a row have I sent this out?) I’ve heard tell from a few of you that you, too, enjoy listening to it each year. This is absolutely one of THE BEST stories I’ve ever heard told. It’s a wonderful tale and message in itself, but it’s also just TOLD so well.

I don’t know if this is OK to play in school or not, but if not, it’s a darned shame. I think it would a wonderful story to play for the elementary students – maybe as a writing prompt, or a study of vocabulary, or even just a study in story telling. “What does it mean when this boy says, ‘We played Christmastime..’”, or “Describe the house in which that this boy and his family lived.” Or, maybe even, “Draw a scene from this story.”

In any case, if you have never heard this one, do yourself and your family a favor and listen to it. Play it for your family, too. It’ll bring a warm smile to your face – and to your heart.

Merry Christmas!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Sweet Tomatoes Printable Coupons