Thursday, May 25, 2006

SMBs Balk at Backup

Although there are numerous new technologies available to securely backup data, many SMBs feel that they don't really need to worry about it. Others are so busy trying to choose which service to use that they are leaving their data in jeopardy.

Bill Case, technical support manager of 100-person mechanical engineering firm Peter Basso Associates in Troy, Michigan, says, "Disk backup is something I'm interested in, but we're trying to figure out the best route to go. I always have a comfort level with tape. It gives me comfort knowing last night's tape is in my bag and the previous version is offsite. Am I looking forward to the time I won't have to carry tapes around? Sure. And of course, I'd like it to be faster and more granular. But I want to find something that works."

Ryan Mullen, an IT admin for MSLG Home Loans in Reno, Nevada, shares the plight of many small businesses – the inability to move away from tape backups. "I would like to think the disk solution would get us away from tape, but we're in the same boat a lot of people are in -- if something catastrophic happened to our building, we would have tape offsite so we could retrieve data. We're not big enough to accommodate the price of streaming offsite backups."

Learn about some of the newest storage solutions available for SMBs in the entire article (link above).

Submitted by Joshua Feinberg

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Sweet Tomatoes Printable Coupons