Saturday, April 23, 2011

The ipad craze. Part II

A while back I wrote about my thoughts on the ipad craze. At that time I didn't own one. I do now and have had it for about 4 months. I like it. I'm not WILD about it, but I like it. I enjoy going out and finding apps that I think might help me be more productive on it, and I like finding challenging games, and I like the interface a lot.

Would I buy a cart full of them for school. Absolutely NOT.

To me this idea is STILL insanity. Normally rational people who are sound educators are touting the ipads as THE device to save our schools.  They point to all the apps. They talk about putting textbooks on it. And they point to a few specific apps like Pages, iMovie, and garageband, and OfficeHD as evidence that the device is NOT just a consumer device.

I do agree that for some kids, the interface will keep them focused for a while. And some apps will also help to reinforce a particular skill. There are some flashcard apps and some math practice apps and some history facts apps. Insert your favorite app here - I don't care what it is. Some folks say, "You can put Google Earth on there, too!" OK. Google Earth. So? You're going to put your textbooks on it, too? So? So you think they're going to finally READ that textbook just because it's on the ipad?

The point that I just can't get past is that the device does NOT support the kinds of activities and assignments that we do in school. At least with OfficeHD and dropbox there's a way to turn in an assignment. Of course, dropbox requires an account. When I ask teachers how students will submit work they do they say they can email it. Really? Where did those email accounts come from and will the students have to set up their accounts each time and then delete them each time? Will they even have access to the settings area to be able to do that?

What kind of product can the kids create with this device? Copying and pasting is still clunky. How do they manage to find images, say, and then save them... where? What about all the other kinds of resources they deal with routinely?


Some rush to point to google docs. You've not tried that recently, have you? The application gets in the way. The INTERFACE gets in the way. Google docs is NOTHING like it is on a computer. (I'm going to distinguish between the ipad and computer, although I do know that the ipad IS a computer.) So, what other program will let the students create a product - AND be able to turn it in somehow?

And if this isn't important to you, then let's talk about what level of Bloom's you're reaching when the kids play with the apps. Remembering level? Understanding level?

Here's where folks rush in with their favorite app to make their point that no, it's NOT all about Remembering and Understanding. "Look at THIS one!" One? Two, maybe? Line up the apps to match the curriculum and THEN tell me. And, line up the apps for ALL of the different subject areas where this device will be used. What is this device being used for NOW? Practicing? Remembering? Understanding?

Don't point to an app and try to make the point that I'm totally wrong. One or two apps does not prove me wrong. Nor does it justify the expense. NOR, I might add, does it justify ignoring sound educational practices just so kids can be entertained by the slick interface.

There MAY come a time when this device IS suitable for schools. I just don't that now is that time. Will you give kids admin rights on the device? Heck no. So, the only thing they can do is all the stuff YOU put on there to keep them entertained. And really, when all other arguments fail, doesn't it always come down to, "They LIKE using the ipads." It's NOT about how they support your curriculum, is it? It's NOT about what it lets them do that they cannot do (and a LOT MORE) with a laptop. It's about giving them a device that they will like playing with.

Stop the madness.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Sweet Tomatoes Printable Coupons