Thursday, July 9, 2009

To (ipod) Touch or Not to (ipod) Touch

I am trying to get my thoughts around the issue of using the ipod touch with students. I know of a few people who have managed to get approval for a cart of ipod touches for next year, and I know of several others who are either trying to get one or who WISH they could get a cart full. But, I'm just not yet convinced of their value. I'm not trying to start a flame war; I'm just trying to get my mind around it.

Here's my thinking.
1) It appears that the 8gig model costs $229 from the Apple store. Educators can get a slight discount, maybe, so let's go with $200 as the comparison price. I'm seeing netbooks for around $300. With the education discount and bulk purchase price, let's figure on $300/machine. So, right away you can get 45 ipod touches for the price of 30 netbooks. Chalk up one for ipod touches
2) Applications. There are 35000 applications available for the iphone and most of them work on the ipod touch, as well. However, they're not all free. Even at $.99 each it'll be an expense to furnish them with some of the best applications. The netbooks, however, have access to all the applications and applets and sites on the web, and the vast majority are free. Many require flash, so although the Safari browser is on the ipod touch, you won't be able to use those applications. You're limited to those you can download. Chalk up one for the netbooks
3) Typing. Typing anything on the ipod touch is a slow process compared to even an 80% keyboard, so you're not going to be typing up homework on them. With the netbooks you're not limited that way. Chalk another one up for the netbooks.
4) Battery life. Maybe the battery in my ipod touch isn't as good as the one in yours, but I don't get a lot of time on mine. Listening to music is fine, but even then I don't get 3 hours from the battery. From what I was able to see, some netbook batteries last as long as 4.5, but most are around 3. Let's call that one a draw, then.
5) Cool factor. If a student had his or her own ipod touch and could put his own music on it and his own pictures then the cool factor would be huge. Similarly, if a student had his/her own netbook and could customize as desired, the cool factor would still be pretty good - not as good as the ipod touch, but not bad. But, they're NOT going to be able to put music or images on them. No advantage to either.
6) Versatility. With the ipod touch you can only do pretty much whatever applications you download. Yes, you can surf the Internet, but seeing it and doing anything with it is an issue. The netbooks, on the other hand, are simply much more versatile. Another one for the netbooks - unless this could be the same as the Applications category.

We were always told, decide on what you need and then look for the closest match. I'm just not seeing the ipod touch as being the closest match to what I want to do, even if I *can* get 50% more of them for the same amount of money.

What am I missing?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Sweet Tomatoes Printable Coupons