Thursday, October 30, 2008

[TIPS] An English lesson gone global

http://thefischbowl.blogspot.com/2008/10/this-i-believe-goes-global.html

If you read my blog then I KNOW that you also read Karl Fisch’s blog, thefischbowl.blogspot.com. You may also read Ann Smith’s blog, Learning and Laptops. So this is just a post in case you’re behind on your reading.

Do you recall me mentioning the “This I believe” lesson that a couple of his teachers have done? (I mention it everywhere I go) I wrote about them on a couple of occasions; http://tipline.blogspot.com/2006/12/tips-smiths-9th-honors-class-blog.html and http://tipline.blogspot.com/2007/10/tips-this-i-believe-new-group-of.html. Ann Smith is the teacher/blogger behind this assignment. Well, she’s at it again. Here’s an excerpt from her blog post in Learning and Laptops ( http://learningandlaptops.blogspot.com/2008/10/this-i-believe-goes-global.html)

“We are approaching that time of year when I am going to start the kids on this writing adventure, but this year I wanted to add a little twist with the help of you out there in the blog-o-sphere. I want “This I Believe” to go global. I want my students to benefit not only from knowing what their peers believe, or what the other AHS classes believe, but to hear and see what the world values. What do kids elsewhere in the U.S. believe in? What do kids elsewhere in the world believe in? What do some of the learned professionals that I know believe in?”

She’s taking this lesson global. If you’re a classroom teacher, blogger, administrator or student, you should stop what you’re doing right now and go read either of those two links (It’s the same article, cross-posted). Pass this along to your favorite English teacher. Get involved. You’re going to be a part of something BIG.

Once again, congratulations to Ann and Maura and to Karl for their inspiration for us all, and for the inevitable hard work that will be involved with this project. This will be VERY fun to watch! It just ay take on a life of its own. Just watch and see!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Sweet Tomatoes Printable Coupons