Saturday, July 10, 2010

QR Codes - And the Winning Video

This is overdue, but I'm excited to be pointing it out for those who haven't yet seen it.

This video, by Allison Burke (student) and Laura Jacob (teacher) won 1st Prize in this year's SIGML (Special Interest Group for Mobile Learning) contest. First, congratulations to Allison and Laura. Laura also won a scholarship from ISTE for her work. What a team, eh?

So, the first part is to congratulate the student and her teacher, but the second part is to showcase this idea that they discuss in their video. QR Codes. Ever heard of them? I hadn't until I had the chance to talk to Allison and Laura at ISTE this year. I also had a chance to talk to Allison at her booth in the student showcase, and she showed me how easy it was to make these. So, combine easy with powerful and you've got a winner.

Watch the video (below) and show it to your teachers, too. I love the idea of filming labs, and audio files. I love the idea of linking to audio files of book reviews made by the students. think about how this can add new dimensions to the student newspaper, and other printed information for parents. Give it some thought and I'm sure you can quickly find meaningful applications in your subject, as well.

The process involves downloading a free application from the web, making the resource (podcast, video, etc) and printing the QR code. Allison made it look and sound so easy.

Congratulations again to Allison and Laura. And, if any of you get into this process, let me know. I'd love to pass it along to them so that they know who they've inspired.



BTW - the revised version of this video that acts as the announcement to students is here.

Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Sweet Tomatoes Printable Coupons