Sunday, February 20, 2011

I'm asking the wrong question about Prezi

I STILL can't tolerate a Prezi presentation. Recently, I had to endure two of them. I've already mentioned why I don't like Prezi, but perhaps I'm going about it all wrong. Perhaps I should be asking a different question. So here it is:

"Why do you like Prezi?"

"If you mentioned that you liked the animations, then I'll ask this: How do those animations enhance the point you're trying to make?"

"How are those animations different from the typical animations in PowerPoint?" (No, I don't mean that these twist and zoom, I mean, a gratuitous animation in Prezi is no better than a gratuitous animation in PowerPoint, yes? Or am I wrong. Just because you can animate something doesn't mean that it SHOULD be animated, right? Or am I wrong?

I don't mean to beat this dead horse, (ok, maybe I do) but I HAVE to know what YOU see in it that I'm missing. When we think about the best presentations we've seen, do the animations come to mind? When we think of the most annoying presentations we've seen, do the animations come to mind? Which is better, do you (REALLY) think: creating a Prezi presentation, or creating a Pecha-Kucha style presentation?

If your only response is that the kids like it better, then I submit to you that you're chasing an illusion. Kids will tire of Prezi animations just as quickly (if not faster) than they tire from a PowerPoint animation. THEN what?

But, I went too far. I just want to know the reasons why you like it. Maybe I'm missing something.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Sweet Tomatoes Printable Coupons