Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Miss Belfour would have been proud - and Shocked!

I wrote about Miss Belfour before. She was my high school English teacher when I was a senior. She tried, unsuccessfully at the time, to get me to appreciate Robert Frost's, "The Road Not Taken." As I said in that previous post, I think the reason I didn't 'get it' then was because I hadn't yet had any roads not taken at that point in my life. I've certainly had many since.

When I met the woman who would become my wife, we would take a lot of hikes in state parks and various other places. Once, when we came to a Y in the path, I stopped her and recited that poem to her. (I had long before memorized it, as I mentioned in that other post.) As a result of that, that poem became her favorite, as well.

Today, while visiting Middlebury, VT, we took a drive to see Robert Frost's summer cabin where he had spent the summers and falls for 24 years, from 1939 to 1963. It's a tiny log cabin, with a very small porch and a short stone wall running along one side. We looked around, and then before we left we sat on the stone wall and I again recited that poem. I even recorded it on my iphone so she could have it for.. later.

It was, indeed, a special moment, and one that would have shocked the heck out of Miss Belfour, had she witnessed it. But, I'm sure it would have also made her very proud. At least, I hope so. I thought of her as we walked to the car afterward.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Sweet Tomatoes Printable Coupons