Thursday, February 11, 2010

A Moral Imperative?

I just read this quote from Scott Mcleod's blog:

"One of the things I think we have to ask ourselves as school leaders is ‘What’s our moral imperative to prepare kids for a digital, global age?’ Right now we’re sort of ignoring that requirement. . . . I think you would take a look at much of what we do in our current schooling system and just toss it and essentially start over. So the question for school leaders and for policymakers is ‘How brave are you and how visionary are you going to be?’ And you don’t even have to be that visionary. Just look around right now and see the trends that already are happening and just project those out and see that it’s going to be a very different world."


What’s our moral imperative to prepare kids for a digital, global age?’ - I LOVE that question. Then, "Just look around right now and see the trends that already are happening and just project those out and see that it’s going to be a very different world."


Can I hear an Amen?

In my talks that I do with teachers, I say that, "The context of school has changed." Not earth-shattering, nor even a stroke on clever insight, At least, it's not to anyone who is aware of all the changes that have gone on in the online world, and who have read, "The World is Flat" or who have seen the "Did You Know?" video. (If you just said, "Who hasn't?" then you're not talking to the same folks I've been talking to. MANY still haven't!) 

So, if the context has changed, and the world has changed, then truly, "What is our moral imperative to prepare kids for a digital, global age?" 

I LOVE it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Sweet Tomatoes Printable Coupons