Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Yikes! I've been "tagged"

Tag? I'm it? I just read thefischbowl and was pleasantly surprised to discover that I'd been "tagged." Yikes! Now I'm supposed to tell five things about myself that others may not know and then tag five others. The hardest part comes in knowing five other bloggers who haven't already been tagged. When I wondered aloud to my wife why the heck *I* was tagged she reminded me that I was reading blogs on Christmas morning, for pete's sake. Oh... ok... maybe. :-)


I didn't trace this back as Karl had done, but he did mention that somewhere along the way this may have been for the purpose of identifying others as resources, but has evolved (devolved?) into this. So here are my five things:


1. I began my career as a music teacher where I served almost 8 years. To this day I believe that there is a special place in Heaven for middle school General Music teachers. :-)

2. My second career started five years later in 1983 as a high school computer teacher because at that point I had taken about 21 credits in computer programming (on key punch machines) and found it fascinating. I taught BASIC programming, of course, and MS-DOS 1.0!! No hard drives back then, y' know. Things changed slowly at first until around 1990 when we installed a Mac lab, and I fell in love. I credit the Macs for the fact that I've thus far managed to avoid a mid life crisis. Who knows, had we not gotten them I might have bought a convertible and some driving gloves and started cruising college campuses. :-)

3. I started a Mac user group (CAMELOT) where I began this tip thing, but back then the tips were mostly about Clarisworks/Appleworks. So, I guess I've been sending out daily computer tips for about a dozen years. As a result of those tips I began writing a column for Child Guide Magazine, a small publication located in West Virginia. My column won both a National Gold (2004) and a National Bronze (2005) award from Parenting Publications of America. Blew me away!

4. My wife and I are very fortunate to own a beautiful log home on 30 acres of wooded ground near Raystown Lake in south central PA. With thoughts of retirement in the not-too-distant future I just may be writing my tips from there.

5. I work as an Instructional Technology Trainer for the Capital Area Intermediate Unit just across the beautiful Susquehanna river from Harrisburg, PA. I get to do all sorts of workshops and trainings which are now mostly about trying to get more of our teachers using blogs and wikis (my wife refers to them as 'drippies' - she sorta listens when I talk) and Moodle, etc. In retirement I hope to be able to do more workshops and continue the work of trying to get people past the idea of thinking a blog is a "four letter word."

So there you have it. Geez... too many "I's." But, that's the nature of this sort of thing, isn't it?

OK... Kurt, Steve, Tim, and ...? - tag! You're it. (I don't know 5 bloggers well enough to tag them. Maybe I should tag Anne Smith. As it is I'm going to have to email Steve and Tim to tell them that I have tagged them. :-) )

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Sweet Tomatoes Printable Coupons